Sunday, July 27, 2008

Which is crunchier: new or repurposed?

I have a dining room for the first time ever, and I don't expect to have one again in the near future. As a result, I am furnishing my dining room on the cheap with pieces I won't mind parting with in two years. Of course, I also want pieces I'll love in the meantime. Such is life.

After much comparison shopping online and in person, I chose the IKEA Dockstra dining table and an IKEA Expedit 4x2 bookcase turned on its side for a buffet.



But as you can see the room is pretty bland right now. That's ok, because that's how I planned it. The color will come from the chairs, which I envision as IKEA competition. Why? Because instead of purchasing new on the cheap, I'm going to repurpose old (on the cheap, too, I hope).

I see this as a competition between IKEA, a responsible furniture manufacturer, and the combined forces of thrift stores, hardware stores, and sweat.

Today thanks to a tip from my neighbors I picked up two dining chairs for $10 each at a local thrift store. Score! Here's a picture.



My plan is to find 2-4 more chairs. There were some good candidates at the thrift store, but they all had plastic covered seats that I wasn't sure how to remove/swap out. The table seats 4 easily but can handle 6 in a pinch. I'm going to strip them down and I think paint each chair a different vibrant color: blue, green, red, orange, purple, etc.

To figure out how to do this I'm going to rely heavily on the clever folks at my local paint store, with some additional information from these links, courtesy of Google:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/antique_chair_restoration.htm
http://www.curbly.com/celee/posts/152-Refinishing-wood-chairs

What prevents this experiment from being maximally crunchy? As I see it the variables are:

  • Direct cost of materials, i.e. price
  • External costs of materials, e.g. toxicity
  • Cost of labor


I wonder if I'm forgetting anything?

The chairs I wanted to get at IKEA were Norvald dining chairs in red, for $69 each. Assuming I got only 4 that would be a total of $276 -- pricey!

I'll pick out paints for now, but I'll update on results later.

No comments: